A Now or Never Weekend

My Dear and I were college students when we got married. Two other couples, our friends, married the summer before. They were students too. My childhood best friend had prearranged my friendship with Christy before I transferred to this college, she knew we would love one another and she was right! Christy's best friend was Nancy-I won her friendship by default, lucky me!! It just so happened that My Dear was friends with the men who became their husbands. We were poor, married students. We were one another's entertainment-livin' on love!

These 2 couples were a STRONG support for us as students, as a couple, and as followers of Jesus Christ. They were such a blessing to us and provided such sweet memories and accountability. They asked the hard questions.

Facebook and blogging have made it easier to keep up with one another. Last summer, we were able to get together for the first time in at least 10 years. Among us we have 11 children, we all homeschool, all of our husbands are in ministry and seeing that they are all in ministry means that ............we will likely never live near one another again, a girl can dream!

This weekend, I did something I have never done. I flew on an airplane all by myself. There was no sweet husband like on my honeymoon, no toddlers like when I went to visit the parents, and no mission team, just me. But it was a now or never situation! We girls had talked about a girls' weekend last year and it never happened but it HAD to happen this year! You see, my friend Christy, her husband and their 5 children recently sold their home, got rid of the majority of their possessions and have moved into what they lovingly refer to as the cottage. In two weeks, they will leave the cottage and rid themselves of more possessions before completing training to move. Yep, move again. This time the move is to Africa to once again do what God has called them to do.

It was a now or never event. We isolated ourselves in a hotel to talk, laugh, encourage, and got to love on the youngest of the 11 children, 6 month old "Jr.!" We ate without preparing or cleaning up, had dessert, watched what we wanted to on television, toured a landmark, worshipped, dug through treasures at Goodwill and looked for long skirts that were acceptable in Africa, in sizes for mama and 3 sweet girls.....but we did them together! The pace was slow and company was perfect!

I had no idea how much I needed this weekend. We talked marriage, ministry, Jesus, schooling, children....all of those things that you do with girlfriends who speak truth in your life. When I think of these ladies, I sometimes get sad that we do not live closer. But they would not be the friends that they are if they were not obedient to God's call on their lives and for that, I am so thankful. When Nancy and her family moved farther away once again after a few years living closely, the song When We All Get To Heaven played through my head as we cried and hugged in my front yard. For now, we will keep up when we can, but know that we will have eternity to catch up. In the meantime, we will be working to see that a bunch of other folks are there with us! Will you be one of them?

Comments

JottinMama said…
Your friends' story appeals to me :) My husband and I are praying about some of those very same things... giving away possessions, selling our home - freeing ourselves up for wherever the Lord may lead. Scary? Yes. Exciting? You bet.

SO glad you got to get away and spend some time with your friend! What a blessing!

Enjoy your week!

- Kate :)

Popular posts from this blog

HELP!!!

Kinsmen Redeemer

Christmas Cards and "More Dezus"