Good Reads!

Our reading list for May:

Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis
     The story of a young woman who gave up the "American Dream" that she was well on her way of receiving to answer the call of Christ to the orphans and poor in Uganda.   *Warning* your heart will be changed.   I read the book and now 9 year old Dolly is sleeping with it as she reads through it.   I wonder if the next "Katie Davis" is not sleeping across the hall.


Before I Was Born by Carolyn Nystrom
     I borrowed this book from our Pregnancy Care Center to help us to communicate God's design for sex.  Other books in the series are:   The Story of Me (ages 3-5.)   What's the Big Deal?  Why God Cares About Sex (ages 8-11.)   Facing the Facts: The Truth About Sex and You (ages 11-14.)   This book is #2 in the series.

It came with some giggles, pictures, and conversation.  My Dear was with us and as we talked our Billy said, "So it is like what that police officer told us.   He teaches his children about properly handling guns so they won't be curious.   You just don't want us to be curious."   I think that sums it up!



Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl by Dannah Gresh
     This book is written for mother's of tweens (ages 8-13) but as I read, I realized it really starts MUCH earlier.   If you love your daughter, this is a book to read.   Gresh also has a book written on parenting sons.   It is an easy, practical read.   Vicki Courtney is another author who writes on parenting the tough stuff.



Our Billy just read, The Fifth Diamond: The Story of Irene Weisberg Zisblatt 
                        by Irene Weisberg Zisblatt with Gail Ann Webb

      Ms. Irene is a Holocaust survivor, Am and I went to hear her speak last fall and when I heard she would be in town again, I snatched 11 year old Billy to go with me.   He came home and read the book right away.   For a kid who did not want to go to hear her, he had the book read within a couple of days.  He would never want to tell me I was right,  but after reading the book, he quietly came to me and said that the book changed him.   He questioned my motives when I took his copy from his room tonight to insure I spelled her name right for this post.


Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell

     My sister suggested this picture book years ago and I did not read it, but now, I get it!!!   I have read it with the three little kiddos and somehow, I am going to have to tackle one very tall 17 year old to hear it too.   It is RICH in celebrating who God made you (without saying God.)

"Believe in yourself and the world will believe in you too."--Molly Lou Melon's grandma


Last but not least is The Jesus Storybook Bible.......yep, My Dear reads this one every morning but Sunday with the kiddos at the breakfast table.   Every story is retold with the Biblical reference shared, and the stories pointing to Jesus.  

Now hit the library or Amazon and check them out!!!   Happy Reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELP!!!

Kinsmen Redeemer

Cheerio Toes