The First Days of homeSchool!

Before I homeschooled, I wondered how it worked-what does it look like? Now, I wonder from year to year, what it will look like with Miss B. in tow!

So here is a shot from the first day!


She wanted to be like the big kids. So she has her own journal, stickers, markers and a shelf of activities that are just for her. Yesterday she learned that, she has to put one thing away before she can get another out. (I hope that information transfers to her room and the rest of our home.) As I looked her journal, she also taught herself same and different. She placed colored smiley face stickers in her journal-yellow with yellow, blue with blue and red with red. I am glad I stepped out of her way so she could show me what she is learning.

Today when Dolly finished part of her work, she helped B. with this activity to add to what she did yesterday. It was so easy and kept this little one busy. Both big kids wanted to work with her as well.
Dolly chose a sticker for B. B. took the sticker and matched it to the paper on the wall. Each time Dolly gave B. a sticker, Dolly would name the color. This was fun for all of us and B. said several times that "daddy will be so 'boud' (proud.) The colors were mixed up so she had to find the correlating paper while she heard the name of the color.
This morning we were greeted by a beautiful butterfly on the carport. We had read about moths and butterflies this summer so we are of increased interest. We caught the butterfly in a garage sell butterfly cage. The kids studied it for awhile then I handed them journals. I have wanted to have Nature Notebooks since I began schooling, it just never happened.
Billy piped up that they could draw a picture and then write about what they found. They did just that. Please do not tell Billy that is exactly what I wanted them to do with the books. It always goes over better when it is there idea!
Dolly had a friend to play later that day and she and Dolly recorded a "nut" that they found in the yard. I love this little notebook and pray they continue with it.
Billy thinks they should do it every morning, I think it is a great idea! B. of course wanted to be in on the action. So we traced her fancy flower sandals into her notebook creating 2 wings for her to color. She thought that was pretty fun and she liked adding to her journal as well.

After the journaling was complete, we headed to the library to pick up The Nature Handbook. It is suggested for those who teach with Nature Notebooks and the Charlotte Mason method of teaching. We are trying to learn the name of the butterfly we found but the search continues.
I love when learning just shows up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HELP!!!

Kinsmen Redeemer

Cheerio Toes